Thursday, June 2, 2011

Roller Coaster Ride

Three weeks ago Thursday I had a follow-up ultrasound to see if my placenta previa (placenta covering the cervix) had corrected itself with the growth of my uterus.  The ultrasound tech initially thought my previa was gone, but later corrected herself saying that it looked like I still had a complete previa.  The tech was also concerned because the baby was measuring small.  I affirmed the tech that the baby has measured small all along and that the midwife didn't have any concerns regarding her size.

The following Monday my midwife called to let me know that the ultrasound revealed a complete previa.  This is concerning because it means the baby would have to be delivered via c-section at 37 weeks due to the risk of hemorrhage should I start to dilate; keep in mind that at this point I was 33 weeks along meaning the baby would be coming in 4 weeks as opposed to 7.  The midwife didn't mention being concerned about the baby's size which surprised me.  She said she would be referring me to an OB within the same practice since a midwife can't perform a c-section.  At this point I was really concerned; the baby was measuring small and they wanted to deliver her early.  There were so many thoughts going through my mind and I didn't know if I trusted the practice enough to continue receiving care from them.  I had been asking for a month to have a follow-up ultrasound to check the location of my placenta, but continued to be put off.  Josh and I decided it was time to look for a new OB and deliver at a hospital that has a level III nicu should the baby have issues from being delivered early.

I started the hunt for a new OB.  It was quite the challenge to find a respected practice that would take me this far along in my pregnancy.  Fortunately for us our top choice was willing.  We scheduled an appointment and waited, anxiously, to find out what the Dr. wanted to due regarding the previa and size of the baby.  Our appointment was almost 2 weeks after our ultrasound and I was a mess for most of the two weeks.

The day of our appointment finally arrived.  Dr Castro was wonderful!!  She answered all our questions and knew what  her game plan was before she even saw me.  She referred me to have a complete ultrasound with a perinatologist the following day.  She said she didn't trust the imaging center/radiologist we used for the last ultrasound so she wanted this ultrasound to check the previa and also to make sure that the baby doesn't have growth restriction (something that had never been mentioned to us as a possible cause of her small size).  She also had me do the glucose test (my midwife said it wasn't necessary) and did a bunch of blood work.  Josh and I left the appointment feeling really good about the Dr and the care we would be receiving, but I was still really emotional.  I was so concerned about the size of the baby and the thought that she may not be receiving the nutrients she needed causing her growth to be restricted as a result.  Josh did a great job of reminding me that we can't worry about what is out of our control, but instead need to rest in the Lord.  Our prayer was for the Lord's will.  He created this little one according to His plan, not ours, so it's fitting that He has a plan for her life, size, and delivery.  I desperately wanted to pray that she would grow and my placenta would move, but ultimately I had to pray for His will because it is PERFECT!!!

Our ultrasound was the following day.  My mom came with me, it was too short of notice for Josh to be able to get off work.  I cried off and on the hours leading up to the ultrasound and kept praying.

The results were GREAT!!!!!  I do NOT have placenta previa and the baby isn't growth restricted.  They were able to see that all the blood flow in the placenta and umbilical cord were working as they should.  We may just have a small baby; not expected considering both Josh and I were over 8lbs when we were born. We are overjoyed at the results!!  The ultrasound was 3D and amazing.  We saw her open her mouth a few times and move her hands all over.  I think she has Josh's lips and possibly his nose.  I am really excited to meet this little peanut and see how/when the Lord brings her into the world.

2 comments:

  1. What??? So they were wrong on you don't have a scheduled C-section??? Wow!! Wonderful news, Jessica. Glory to God! :-)

    ReplyDelete